By Carroll Pursell
- 22 unique essays through specialist students conceal an important positive factors of yankee expertise, together with advancements in cars, tv, and computing
- Analyzes the ways that applied sciences are equipped, comparable to within the engineering occupation, govt, drugs and agriculture
- Includes discussions of ways applied sciences have interaction with race, gender, type, and different organizing buildings in American society
Read Online or Download A Companion to American Technology (Wiley Blackwell Companions to American History) PDF
Similar history of technology & engineering books
Engineering schooling within the usa was once lengthy considered as masculine territory. for many years, girls who studied or labored in engineering have been popularly perceived as oddities, outcasts, unfeminine (or inappropriately female in a male world). In ladies Coming to Tech! , Amy Bix tells the tale of the way girls received front to the ordinarily male box of engineering in American greater schooling.
Within the culture of Jared Diamond's weapons, Germs, and metal, this provides the very early historical past of ways human ingenuity overcame the chance of famine via effective agriculture. beginning with a layman's advisor to the chemistry of nitrogen fixation, the publication is going directly to express how people emerged from nomadic existence and started constructing cities and settlements.
The 5th millennium BCE used to be a interval of quick social switch. one of many key components used to be the advancements in expertise which ended in the increase of the metals undefined. Archaeological reveals from websites relationship to the Chalcolithic interval point out the creation and use of copper. 'Dawn of the steel Age' examines a number of websites - from copper mines in Jordan and Israel to the villages of the northern Negev the place copper was once produced in family workshops, to a sequence of cave burials the place a number luxurious steel items have been buried with the elite participants of Chalcolithic society.
Think the 20 th century with no images and movie. Its background will be absent of pictures that outline old moments and generations: the demise camps of Auschwitz, the assassination of John F. Kennedy, the Apollo lunar touchdown. it might be a historical past, in different phrases, of simply artists’ renderings and the spoken and written observe.
- Innovators in Battery Technology: Profiles of 95 Influential Electrochemists
- Modernity and Technology (MIT Press)
- Homesteading Space: The Skylab Story (Outward Odyssey: A People's History of S)
- Paper Machines: About Cards & Catalogs, 1548-1929 (History and Foundations of Information Science)
- Saturn V Rocket (Images of Modern America)
Extra resources for A Companion to American Technology (Wiley Blackwell Companions to American History)
A Companion to American Technology (Wiley Blackwell Companions to American History) by Carroll Pursell