By Adelheid Voskuhl
Read or Download Androids in the Enlightenment: Mechanics, Artisans, and Cultures of the Self PDF
Similar history of technology & engineering books
Engineering schooling within the usa was once lengthy considered as masculine territory. for many years, ladies who studied or labored in engineering have been popularly perceived as oddities, outcasts, unfeminine (or inappropriately female in a male world). In women Coming to Tech! , Amy Bix tells the tale of the way girls received front to the usually male box of engineering in American larger schooling.
Within the culture of Jared Diamond's weapons, Germs, and metal, this provides the very early heritage of ways human ingenuity overcame the danger of famine via efficient agriculture. beginning with a layman's advisor to the chemistry of nitrogen fixation, the publication is going directly to convey how people emerged from nomadic life and started constructing cities and settlements.
The 5th millennium BCE was once a interval of swift social swap. one of many key elements was once the advancements in know-how which resulted in the increase of the metals undefined. Archaeological unearths from websites courting to the Chalcolithic interval point out the construction and use of copper. 'Dawn of the steel Age' examines a number of websites - from copper mines in Jordan and Israel to the villages of the northern Negev the place copper used to be produced in loved ones workshops, to a sequence of cave burials the place quite a number luxurious steel items have been buried with the elite participants of Chalcolithic society.
Think the 20 th century with no images and picture. Its background will be absent of pictures that outline old moments and generations: the dying camps of Auschwitz, the assassination of John F. Kennedy, the Apollo lunar touchdown. it might be a historical past, in different phrases, of simply artists’ renderings and the spoken and written observe.
- Concrete Revolution: Large Dams, Cold War Geopolitics, and the US Bureau of Reclamation
- Closed Captioning: Subtitling, Stenography, and the Digital Convergence of Text with Television (Johns Hopkins Studies in the History of Technology)
- German Rocketeers in the Heart of Dixie: Making Sense of the Nazi Past during the Civil Rights Era
- Machines as the Measure of Men: Science, Technology, and Ideologies of Western Dominance (Cornell Studies in Comparative History)
- Innovators in Battery Technology: Profiles of 95 Influential Electrochemists
Extra resources for Androids in the Enlightenment: Mechanics, Artisans, and Cultures of the Self
Androids in the Enlightenment: Mechanics, Artisans, and Cultures of the Self by Adelheid Voskuhl